[OpenID] CheckIDRequest with Big AX

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Tue Dec 30 11:59:25 UTC 2008

This begs a wider question concerning AX. The underlying issue relates to my own confusion over the wider role of AX (expressed in a thread a week or two ago).

For Dick, evidently AX is the extensible form of sreg - and is about a visible user-centric experience (e.g. a signup wizard). It's little more. There is a bit of stuff about AX update.

For others, two websites may be exploiting an _existing_ openid pairwise security association to signal each other over that authenticated channel, using AX extensions for requests/response FOR PER-APPLICATION PURPOSES. This may be occurring OUTSIDE a visible user experience (such as signup form population). The user may have no interactive role. One might only set a config policy of "please sync me every 10m", and 10 AX transactions occur over 10 hidden iframes (every 10m).

Im with Pat on AX; doing the kind of thing he is doing is what it seemed to be saying it was for...

As with XRI, the power of openid is its architecture and the enabling that XRI/XDI/AX/URls provide to app developers. It's not the particular GUI practice today - which at the end of the day is just another websso protocol that also ran. Since any and all websso is however a fundamental enabler (because it brings with it solutions to security associations, consent, and impersonated session management), its what now follows from and develops on the openid architecture that is the _really_ interesting stuff.