[OpenID] DISCUSSION relating to OpenID Discovery 2.1

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Tue Dec 30 03:25:49 UTC 2008

The following is rather academic. Bear with me; I'm making a not so subtle point.

I don't see anything in openid auth v2 that mandates that the consumer MUST respect the XRDS. That is, if there exists local means to locate the OP, a consumer may vector the user's browser there. There is nothing non-conforming in sending the user to an OP that is missing from the XRDS. Therefore the XRDS is not a control apparatus. In any case the https cert of the endpoint at which the XRDS is located  may not be valid - given validity is a subjective metric of the RP - denying validity to the (unsigned) XRDS on the grounds of lack of assured integrity.

Ok .Why would anyone believe  such a(n academic) claim?

First off, the requirement to display the form to collect the openid is only noted as a SHOULD. That is, per any SHOULD conformance constraint, there exist good reasons to do otherwise. Furthermore, critical failures do not occur merely as a result of following any such (good) reasons. Only in the case of following the SHOULD counsel will there exist a User-Supplied Identifier. Otherwise, there may well exist only "end-user user input".

While 7.2 procedures are uniformly expressed in terms of MUST (and they address any and all "end-user user input") they are contingent of user "input" (which may not exist). A user may have, by way of contrast to "input",  a existing user session (created by means unknown) and the consumer MAY (absent denial) initiate openid auth from that state, for example. This proposition is generally consistent with the notion of "unsolicited"  assertions - which a consumer may legitimately (and outside of OpenID Auth) "induce".

7.3 appears normative, but absent a single MUST is not mandatory. That is: openid discovery is optional.

7.3.2 has a clear IF... which implies that "not if" is a normative possibility. That is:  XRI resolution and YADIS are optional implementation areas.

7.3.3 has states in which absence of an HTML discovery document is ...an entirely "legitimate" state. What happens in that state is not defined (compounded in the case that there has been no use of XRI/YADIS)

I thus fail to find that XRDS/HTML is intended to be an authorization/control framework. If it is supposed to be, its badly specified. I suspect from the phrasing, it supposed to be convenient metadata.