[OpenID] general Digest, Vol 28, Issue 204

John Bradley john.bradley at wingaa.com
Mon Dec 29 18:52:05 UTC 2008

Peter,

XDI is a RDF data service that uses XRI for addressing data.  Think
SPARQL with security.

XRI proxy servers will select a sep for backwards compatibility with
existing browsers and give you a 302 redirect to the URI element of
the SEP.  This is based on standard XRI service selection criteria.

We will be changing the 302 to a 303 in the next version of the spec
to make it more AWWW friendly.

You may want to look at my XRDS =jbradley for some creative things
using content negotiation and HXRI proxys.

It is possible to run your own XRI authority server to serve the XRDS
documents as a community registry.

In the next version of XRI we intend to make it easier for people to
run there own XRI registries using a URI cross ref for the first
subsegment.

iBrokers currently offer a service called a forwarding service.  This
is separate from using the XRDS to do the forwarding.  The forwarding
service is normally configured as the default service for queries with
a path component.

The HXRI proxy uses URI construction to create a new URI that is
passed to the forwarding service.  The forwarding service then
performs a redirect.   The forwarding service itself is not a part of
XRI, rather it is a value add provided by iBrokers.

None of this redirection applies to openID discovery directly.

Currently the URI rewriting rules are quite simple like appending the
Query XRI etc.

The TC is looking at expanding URI construction rules in the new XRD
spec.

I am not quite certain what you are trying to achieve,  but I suspect
that XRI  is probably not the best thing to use as a URI rewriting and
forwarding service.  That really was only intended as a backwards
compatibility feature for existing web browsers.

Feel free to email me directly.

Regards
=jbradley