[OpenID] XDI cross-references

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Mon Dec 29 17:31:48 UTC 2008

Concerning line ~219 http://iss.xdi.org/moin.cgi/ForwardingService?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=iss-forwarding-v1.0-wd-03.pdf

Is there anywhere I can use an XDI-like service...to try out its integration with actual openid discovery clients (pbwiki, plaxo, blogspot, etc)?

Am I right to think that the scheme is saying that if I type in an HXRI invoking the forwarding service, a 3xx https response may come back - whose URL form _can_ be another HXRI ...calling upon another XDI-like forwarding network? That pattern of double discovery may be viable for realty: use an i-broker governed forwarding service to locate a private forwarding service that is not governed  by i-broker vendor associations. Some Realty MLSs would run their own XRI forwarding service, and others would want to use the private-label services of Neustar, etc.

Ok less theory, more practice! We have a need to let query-based openid discovery agents use their rule-rewriting expressions to produce a websso-switch invocation URL of the form:

http://swmrsso.rapmlsstg.com/sp/startSSO.ping?PartnerIdpId=rapattoni:mlsstgswmichigan:entityId

If I was to use i-names as the entity name for the openid entity in PartnerIdpId (=example/seattle/sightseeing), I can see the forwarding service producing for me, given the input https://xri.net/=example.personal.nickname/(+forwarding)

http://swmrsso.rapmlsstg.com/sp/startSSO.ping?PartnerIdpId=%3dexample%2fseattle%2fsightseeing

is there an example forwarding service that is really capable of this (including the url encoding)?

(No...I cannot change the required form of the target URL, its set by the websso-switch vendor).