[OpenID] BBC acts as OpenID provider. wikipedia says so.

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Wed Dec 24 05:15:21 UTC 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openid asserts (when I read it, a moment ago) that the BBC acts as a provider of OpenID authentication.

Wikipedia asserted (a moment or two ago): "OpenID authentication is used and provided by several large websites. Organizations like AOL, BBC,[1] Google,[2] IBM, Microsoft,[3] MySpace, Orange, VeriSign, Yandex, Ustream and Yahoo! act as providers.[4][5][6]"

Can someone point me to how I get a BBC-minted openid?

However, the BBC's Jem Stone says they won't "immediately be offering OpeniDs on bbc.co.uk or even promising to do so." First they have to "make absolutely sure that this is right for users, is secure and can be implemented properly across all the BBC's many services." So it's really the announcement of an intention, not a service yet. [from a while ago: http://uk.techcrunch.com/2008/04/23/bbc-joins-openid-but-it-wont-work-yet/]

If the BBC is truly provisioning openids, presumably they are accepting them; at least their own. Anyone got a BBC URL where I can type myopenid?