[OpenID] Fwd: Several Questions for the Current & Future Board

chris.messina at gmail.com chris.messina at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 18:55:20 UTC 2008

(reply-to missed the list)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: chris.messina at gmail.com
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:54:45 -0800
Subject: Re: [OpenID] Several Questions for the Current & Future Board
To: Martin Atkins <mart at degeneration.co.uk>

Indeed, considering that most votes of the board are done with email
roll call (+1, -1, abstain), we have no idea whether someone's email
account has been hijacked or whether someone is holding a gun to their
head as they hit send.

Still, I think Martin's point is perfectly valid at present: since the
eligible number of voters is small, and since the list of members is
currently not even public, it's hard to imagine tampering.

Heck, as a candidate I don't even know who I should be campaigning
for! ;) (It's not like there's a list of swing OPs or even anecdotal
polling going on!).

Still, I would be curious about making sure there's integrity in the
outcome, and that, as the foundation grows, our mechanisms for
ensuring as much scale.

Chris
On 12/20/08, Martin Atkins <mart at degeneration.co.uk> wrote:

> Nat,
>
> I agree that the election should be as transparent as possible.
>
> However, on the topic of voter anonymity and coersion, I agree that this
> may be a problem in a national election or something of similar
> significance, but since there is comparatively little to be gained from
> being on the board of directors for the OpenID Foundation I would not
> expect candidates to go to such lengths as threatening voters with
> weapons in order to get votes.
>
> It would be interesting, however, to hear about how other organisations
> with an elected board or similar structure handle this situation.
>
> Nat Sakimura wrote:
>> Just for a record, I am in favor of making the software
>> publicly inspect-able etc.
>> Transparency matters, and it is one of the greatest tool that we are
>> given.
>>  From previous posts on other topics, I think you have found that I am a
>> fan of transparency.
>>
>> Now that the election is almost over, I may as well comment on the
>> issues on the e-voting.
>> Guaranteeing a free will voting is a hard topic. The reason we have a
>> closed room in person anonymous voting with inspectors in most political
>> elections are actually to guarantee it.
>> When it comes to e-voting, this gets rather hard.
>>
>> In e-voting scenario, there is no inspector at the time of voting. It
>> may just so happen that the person was forced to vote with a gun. To
>> mitigate it, one has to be allowed to change his vote. (Still not
>> perfect, but is much better.)
>>
>> There also has to be a guarantee of anonymity because it may result in a
>> retaliation.
>> I do not know how it was assured in this election, but perhaps the fact
>> that we were not allowed to re-cast the vote was related to it. I do not
>> have a solution to fulfill the both requirement. Perhaps a person with
>> more knowledge in this field can enlighten me.
>>
>> For financial transparency: there has to be, and I have repeatedly made
>> this statement, so my position has been pretty clear, I hope.
>>
>> =nat
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 3:30 PM, David Fuelling <sappenin at gmail.com
>> <mailto:sappenin at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hey all,
>>
>>     I have a few questions for either the current or future board members:
>>
>>        1. What kind of software are we using for the election, who
>>           created it, and will it be released publicly for
>>           audit/inspection purposes?
>>              1. Do current candidate have an opinion about OIDF voting
>>                 software being publicly inspectable/available?
>>        2. Does the OIDF currently make it's budget and financial
>>           expenditure information public?
>>              1. Do current candidate have a position on providing full
>>                 financial transparency of OIDF moving forward?

> [...]

Chris Messina
Citizen-Participant &
  Open Technology Advocate-at-Large

Vote in the OpenID Board Election!