[OpenID] Several Questions for the Current & Future Board

Dick Hardt dick.hardt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 17:18:51 UTC 2008

On 18-Dec-08, at 9:00 AM, Johannes Ernst wrote:

> Well, as a current board member I disagree. Nobody can figure out
> whether "there is an issue" unless financials are transparent to at
> least all members of the board.

The task of checking if there is an issue was delegated to myself as
Treasurer and the finance committee which was myself, Scott and Bill.

> BTW, I'm not arguing at all that we need to waste any time talking
> about financials. If they are distributed in generally accepted
> formats (BS, P&L, cash flow, perhaps in this case membership
> pipeline) a day or two before each board meeting, AND there is no
> issue, nobody ever spends any time talking about them at all.

No, it usually does not work that way. Someone usually has a question
because they did not understand something in the financials, or forgot
about something. This is a a good exercise in a small company where
things are much more dynamic and a much smaller board. Having all
board members involved in the details of all committees is an
inefficent use of resources, and slows progress down substaintially as
there are more board members. Given the size of the board, the
overhead is high in my opinion.