[OpenID] popup protocol UX? Re: FB Connect, OpenID and UX

SitG Admin sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com
Wed Dec 17 02:22:40 UTC 2008

<http://openid.net/pipermail/general/2008-October/006179.html>>>http://openid.net/pipermail/general/2008-October/006179.html
>>I wonder if we'll have different "skins" for OpenID.
>
>Isn't this brand called...errr...OpenID perhaps?
>
>Incidentally, the above link hits the nail....

This may confuse some people since OpenID is also the underlying
technology. If we have OpenID, and then ask people to recognize
*their* brand of OpenID (that being Google, etcetera), it may confuse
them to see a login box that just says "OpenID":

"Who's providing it?", they'll ask. Then complaints to tech support
that *someone* hasn't implemented their Consumer correctly. Or it
could be in the clearly demarcated area for OP brandname, and then
they may think that the Relying Party doesn't know what it's doing!

It's difficult to know for sure how users will react, since they
aren't at that level of familiarity with it yet - and the effort to
create a consistent UI will help ensure that their familiarity will
be determined - so, consider also that Independent conveys a common
conceptual meaning that would be very appropriate to the context
(contrasting well with well-known, major brand names).

-Shade