[OpenID] popup protocol UX? Re: FB Connect, OpenID and UX

Christian Scholz / Tao Takashi (SL) tao.takashi at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 16 23:09:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 11:57 PM, SitG Admin
<sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com> wrote:
>> - the branding of the provider needs to be very clear
>
> Are we talking brand as in OpenID here, or brand as in company name?

I was talking about the stuff in the popup so that would be the
company name (myopenid, vidoop, ...)
so you know at which provider you landed and it looks familiar.

>> (should there be browser support the browser could maybe select the
>> correct button for you and exchange a "login with openid"
>> automatically by "login with your yahoo account" etc.)
>
> Login with your Independent (brand) OpenID?
> http://openid.net/pipermail/general/2008-October/006179.html
> I wonder if we'll have different "skins" for OpenID.

Well, I would favor one independant name for either OpenID or some
connect-thing which is the only thing that appears, like an email
field does today. Otherwise we will have 1000 buttons and I am not
sure that helps to keep the confusion down or the general idea up.

But if you click on that maybe "OpenID" branded button after entering
your openid then the popup should look like your provider and not
generic I think. And as was pointed out before, different providers
will have different requirements on how their screen needs to look
like anyway.

-- Christian

--
Christian Scholz