[OpenID] Status of the Customer Research Committee (Was: Re: Several Questions for the Current & Future Board)

Johannes Ernst jernst+openid.net at netmesh.us
Tue Dec 16 17:07:47 UTC 2008

I agree with everything Brian said on this thread. To add:

A lot of how we go forward with CRC depends on the composition of the
new board (which also will indicate, indirectly, in which direction
the membership wants the organization to go.)

There was a clear majority view in the joint CRC/board result
presentation meeting to not share the slides produced by MarketFocus
with the membership. Here is my summary on the most important things
we need to do based on CRC results so far:

  - more board members who have business expertise
  - a defined set of objectives, deliverables, responsibilities etc.
etc. for the OIDF in 2009, and the willingness and ability to work
them down
  - increased transparency and accountability of board members and
officers to the membership
  - sorting out the executive director issue
  - more effectively engaging the community and local chapters to all
work on a shared high-level plan
  - clearly articulating the OpenID value proposition for a non-
technical audience
  - marketing programs, and local chapter programs to get the message
out
  - solving a number of technical issues, including
     * further improved security
     * user interface guidelines and better usability
  - defining and enforcing the brand / trademark
  - legal templates that sites can use

Going forward, I think we should do the same interview exercise with
similar interviewees 6-9 months down the road, once we have had a
chance to have delivered some results on the above items.

In the mean time, there seems to be some agreement that we could
package up some of the questions we have in an on-line survey, and ask
actual OPs and RPs, as well as prospective ones, to fill it out. That
would give us far less insight per interviewee because of the limits
of multiple choice, but we could get many more respondents.