[OpenID] checking of openid provider web sites

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Tue Dec 16 13:24:43 UTC 2008

Its concept is evidently not a discovery-security countermeasure (addressing threats of spoofing). It's a useful syntax checker in concept, for the form of the URL used at a particular OP. Its evidently security related, but not evidently security critical in nature, as argued  below.

http-class openIDs are HTTP URLs, and thus have hierarchical form and semantics. These are defined by the original URI/URL standard to exploit the per-URI protocol namespace delegation model, founded on domain-name registration(s) in the case of HTTP/HTTPS URLs. Those domain names are assumed to be resolved through either global OR local bind resolvers, allowing for the autonomous systems management culture that characterizes the survivability properties of internet-class networks. Your tool checks that the form of the URI that comes after the domain-name, (defined as local, in the standard) can be standardized by OP, and your tool can confirm each OPs form is consistently used with respect to the OPs schema (by user configuration of the syntax rules).

Am I close?