[OpenID] checking of openid provider web sites

Steven Livingstone-Perez weblivz at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 16 10:12:07 UTC 2008

Hi Peter - yes, it's pretty simple. It compares the domain that has asked
the user to enter details to a static  domain part on the server.

So for myopenid.com I assume all domains are in the format
http://username.myopenid.com (or http://myopenid.com/username).

On the server is I store the parts of the domain that must be identified to
make this a valid domain. So I store ".myopenid.com" - the domain authority
for all requests must end with this part to make it a valid domain. So
"http://weblivz.myopenid.com.cn" would fail and so on.

Right now it's really not intended to be anything other than a discussion -
I am adding sites through the week. No external management is needed - I may
confirm the possible formats of OpenID requests at an OP though.

There is no real trust - all of these things could be added but it's not a
simple thing to say you "trust" someone and not someone else, so I simply
wanted to provide a way of saying that this is not the domain you expect it
to be.

I put it together in a few hours so I could use it myself an figured some
others may find it useful. Things could be added of course if it proves
useful.

Is there anything out these that does this already - additionally are there
are sites that do work in verifying OP's ?

If some "central" authority could provide a "register your OP" function and
allowed services such as this WebCheck service to download this signed Xml
document to allow anyone to check details then that could be useful too.

steven

http://livz.org