[OpenID] FB Connect, OpenID and UX

Allen Tom atom at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Dec 15 20:22:25 UTC 2008

Luke Shepard wrote:

> For Facebook Connect, the user's credentials aren't ever entered into
> an iframe. If the user is not logged into Facebook, then they will get
> a normal browser popup. I believe browser popups are supported by
> OpenID as well:

There is no safe way to ask for the user's credentials inline in an
iframe/lightbox, however, a popup is a good compromise. Unfortunately,
there is no standard way in OpenID for the RP to send the authentication
request to the OP in a popup.

The Connect popup could be improved a bit by using HTTPS, and perhaps
setting the hostname to something a bit shorter and more recognizable,
like  https://login.facebook.com

Allen