[OpenID] Membership vs. IPR agreements

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Mon Dec 15 19:57:29 UTC 2008

On 12/15/2008 09:32 PM, SitG Admin:
> And, of course, a hostile Board (or one swayed by persuasive
> arguments, with other Board members silenced by their oaths to OIDF)
> could simply push through a change as a secret Board matter, one that
> had to be kept secret from the general community (and even ordinary
> Members) until bylaws could be introduced to address it . . . this
> may *seem* paranoid, but THINK! This is what we DO: the OpenID
> protocol itself is designed to address and *preclude* the possibility
> of any single hostile party from compromising the entire process. We
> acknowledge the problem and take steps to make sure it will not
> occur. If we hold the Board above human weakness, dismiss the
> possibility of corruption out of hand, and generally expect everyone
> to "just trust them", it'll be a shameful double standard.

LOL, either you are watching too many movies or you are into politics.
Anyway...this is a piece of technology (the most), I think you should
start to reach normal proportions to what matters in life :-)

Even if Microsoft would be hitchhiking the foundation, Verisign gaining
a monopole in identity assurances and Yahoo the only OpenID provider
allowed to operate all due to some super-secret, hostile act of the
board...life will continue :-)

(Of course we wouldn't accept that without a fight)

> At the very least, there should be a delay before new rules kick in,
> during which all members are notified directly and they have the
> option (and a fair opportunity) to withdraw their membership.

Which is reasonable. If it isn't, than it should be implemented.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
Jabber: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>
Phone: 	+1.213.341.0390