[OpenID] Shade's questions - Privacy for Foundation members

Dick Hardt dick.hardt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 15:57:14 UTC 2008

On 15-Dec-08, at 5:30 AM, George Fletcher wrote:

> Just to make sure I understand the situation correctly...
>
> If I work for a major corporation that "owns" any IP I may
> contribute to
> OpenID via Working Groups, I can join as an individual member of the
> Foundation for the purpose of voting. However, if I want to contribute
> to the work in any way, I have to get my employer to join the
> Foundation. At which point I would have two "memberships" (one as an
> individual and one via my employer). Then in a working group I would
> be
> contributing as a corporate employee under the membership agreement
> and
> IPR policy signed by my employer but for community matters I'd be
> contributing as an individual.
>
> Is that the correct interpretation of the situation?

No.

You need to be a member of the Foundation to vote and enjoy the other
Foundation Membership privileges.

You do not need to be a member of the Foundation to participate in a
working group.

If you participate in a working group, you must execute an IPR
agreement for that Working Group. If you are an employee of an
organization that owns any IP you create in this space, you will need
to have your employer execute the IPR for you since you cannot agree
to contribute their IP to the Working Group.

To restate, membership in the Foundation and participation in a
Working Group are orthogonal.

-- Dick