[OpenID] Anti-endorsement of Eran Hammer-Lahav

SitG Admin sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com
Sun Dec 14 22:05:04 UTC 2008

>Calling publicly for an *anti-endorsement* of a candidate has
>nothing lost in our community, from my point such a person should be
>banned.

I am actively taking part in the voting process - note, not just
"candidates state their position, free from any criticism" - and
speaking up for the values I believe are important. That's not
"calling for" an anti-endorsement, that's *making* one - which may be
worse, from your point [of view]. If we are to be banned for publicly
expressing disapproval of candidates (not even Board members yet!),
then I assert that this community is simply not READY for openness
and transparency - at least, not when anyone practices the basic
*honesty* that is critical to making such ideals work as expected.

>If we don't respect ourselves and respect others, than nobody will.

It's ironic that you should say such a thing, since Eran has
essentially said that he has no respect for the idea of "privacy" for
anyone here.

>(I would fight for the right to argue, but not at such a low personal level).

I criticized Eran's position, not him personally - or was it "low" to
indirectly criticize him, by criticizing his position? (The
convoluted "logic" makes my head spin!) (Or was it calling him
"honest"?) Look again at what I wrote - the penultimate paragraph
notes that we have no real basis for comparison, but his position
doesn't look good; and then, both acknowledging and reminding us that
this issue is far from the only consideration in this election, I
simply say that members should factor it in *along with everything
else* when voting.

Which is, as I understand it, how people vote anyway. Mine was a very
weak anti-endorsement, really.

>Besides, if you can't say your name I wonder what you have to
>hide...perhaps a bad name....?!

I have an obligation to my clients, actually. Not to remain anonymous
online, specifically - but when I am around (or interacting with)
people who may have designs on my clients, or later be subverted to
such an end (simply because they possess information, or have a
relationship with me, that could assist such efforts), I must
constantly be on my guard. I generally do not participate in ANY
social activities, for that reason! The same goes for online
communities. But if those activities are isolated, it becomes
relatively (never fully) safe. I would not hesitate (and have not, in
the past) to terminate my involvement here if it became dangerous in
that way.

-Shade