[OpenID] (privacy) endorsement, John Bradley

Eran Hammer-Lahav eran at hueniverse.com
Sun Dec 14 22:55:17 UTC 2008

I think anyone who believes that privacy exists online is either stupid or naïve, but I have zero interest in debating that, especially with someone who will not give me the courtesy of revealing his real name and affiliation. To suggest that you cannot trust the names people use in this community is to me an unacceptable level of paranoia. There isn't a single active member on this list who participated in actual work (specs, foundation, evangelism) that I haven't either met in person or met someone I trust who can vouch for them.

For the record, this is exactly what I have wrote before:

"The foundation should not be handing out personal information for any other purposes than to obey its bylaws (for example, sending notifications as legally required will mean giving someone with an administrative capacity access to the mailing lists). Members should have an opt-in way to allow their name and city/country to be listed, with optionally their employer."

How that is different from John's position is beyond me.

EHL