[OpenID] Anti-endorsement of Eran Hammer-Lahav

Eran Hammer-Lahav eran at hueniverse.com
Sun Dec 14 20:34:12 UTC 2008

Because the framework we chose to operate within requires clear licensing of any contributed IP. How can someone make such assertion anonymously? If a company wants to know who are the people behind a standard and what companies they represent so they can make sure they understand the risk associated, how can they do that if you will not fully disclose this information?

The IETF is a bad example for most IPR issues because they really only deal with copyrights and not patents. But this is a separate conversation and OpenID is the wrong community to have this conversation.

> I will not agree to terms that are not pertinent (and incorporate an  explicit (personal) promissory about contributions).  Some of us are
> involved in infringement litigation. I'll guess you are not.
> Still life has to  continue: this just part of business.
> Go create an actual membership agreement that distinguishes contributors and non-contributors. Don't mix the two.
> And get rid of point 2: a wholly generalized compliance obligation for members (vs contributors).
> No individual in their right minds grants such global power to a bunch of email buddies, they have never met.

You are mixing two separate agreements. You will not be allowed to post messages (or at least should not) to working group mailing lists. To do that you must agree to the IPR policy. The general list is not a working group. The OpenID Foundation is a legal entity with a set of bylaws. You cannot be a member if you do not agree fully to these bylaws. It seems like you do not agree with many of the foundation activities and bylaws to the point where you refuse to become a member.

I find your arguments (in general) to be closer to paranoia than reason. Your constant accusations and complaints also assume the worse in people, which to remind you, are mostly doing this because they care and for the most part are the reason why this work exists to begin with! Your legal claims for the most part are just an exaggeration.

Of course this is a free country and you can say whatever you want but I find your attitude towards both the election and current board to be out of line considering you refuse to comply with the basic rules the foundation has.

EHL