[OpenID] Shade's questions - Privacy for Foundation members

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Sun Dec 14 18:05:56 UTC 2008

> > > First, it is $25. Second, what specific IP rules prevent you from
> > > joining? My personal issues with the OpenID foundation IPR policy
> are
> > > that it doesn't secure more rights for the community, which means
> it
> > > will take more power away from those who participate in creating
> > > specifications. But it sounds like you feel the current policy has
> > > already gone too far. I would be interested to learn what exactly
> is
> > > your issue (please quote specific language from the IPR policy).
> > >
> > > EHL

[Peter Williams] I'm not sure I ever got as far as reviewing the wider IPR policy: I was just trying to subscribe! I was looking at subscribing to (25$) membership benefits last week, and got all the way to the member's agreement - which I started reading. I balked at its terms.

I don't mind there being strict IP rules on technical or other "contributions" (to the contribution-controlled lists, that do NOT include this one). That's the only way to keep IP relatively clean, in practice.

That's a different thing to ceding any IP rights for the mere status of being a member, merely to view vote on (non technical) issues, see financial statements, or seek a nomination!

To your challenge! I cannot cite the language I read, as I could not (just now) access the registration / legal agreements. It just says on clicking next, for the $25 subscription level:

        "The change you wanted was rejected. Maybe you tried to change something you didn't have access to".

I'll GUESS I have openid-generated persistent cookies hanging around and the subscription module somehow knows of early its reliance on myopenid .. from the last-time I started to registered - before abandoning the transaction. This MAY be confusing the subscription logic.  But, who knows! It didn't work.

You'll have to rely on the summary; it's all I recall of my mental model from last week.