[OpenID] Shade's questions - Privacy for Foundation members

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Sun Dec 14 14:09:34 UTC 2008

That's far too ideal and academic, Eran.

I cannot join (and happily give my $100) because of the IP rules (on members no less, vs IP contributors). So I do it indirectly but within the rules here, arguably in a useful manner.

Seeing as we are in introspection mode (for perhaps another 5 days), on disclosure "culture" , let note that don't require the corporate members to disclose which claims they have (and which *are* imputing they actually have) in their background sso and (by now) openid-specific patents. So, this is not a 100% intention-disclosing club - by any means. Half my value (if not all of it ) is my access to 25 years of prior art, abdneing able to navoigate over it to help structure openid so it can lay claim to be a descendent, point by technical point ideally!

Folks have created a temporary patent "no-use" regime, for those firms who opt in. This means the corporates have patents, are applying for more each moment (which is natural, and almost obligatory feature of professionally-run R&D), and are simply agreeing not to use them (for now) against those in the club. But, it only applies to those in the club - and its only a suspension of the game, not a cessation. Don't believe for a moment the soviet commune crap about nobody is in this to make money...

Standards are a power game - operating here under the rule that its appropriate to hold off use of the patent portfolio while the market forms. It's exploiting the legal rules on (pre-competitive only) joint research. Once the market opens, life will be different - assuredly - whereupon lots of submarine IP will surface. This is because even unasserted patents are assets in their own right - and can be traded, particularly as companies themselves are traded, broken apart for resale value, etc. They have economic value (even without being asserted against someone); just like a junkbond.

The function of the chair/EO is to manage this incredibly difficult world of standardization, and keep the peace long enough so the technology can advanced, as can the brand, the community, the applications and the core value proposition for buyers. And they are doing fine - for now.