[OpenID] Shade's questions - Vision/Hope for OpenID

Scott Kveton scott at kveton.com
Sun Dec 14 04:19:19 UTC 2008

> do folks know how many 50k lots of cash has been actually disbursed by the corporate members? Assuming there are 5 corporate  members, that's could be 250k, of actual cash or secured obligations against which one can (or could) get a credit line (since the obligated parties are so well known in credit circles).

All of the current corporate members are paid up.

> I cannot tell, from the email banter, whether all sitting Board members of all types have or have not seen a balance sheet. Its not clear, apart from 1, if any of the Candidates endorse or not the current practices of handling financial accountability. Its seems unlikely that 25$ members will ever get timely access to the balance sheet (showing the cash assets or obligations per corporate member) and will not have timely access to the chairman's report on how expenditures were actually executed per mission statement, as promised to the investors/corporate-sponsors.

See previous threads on this in the archives; Dick (as the Treasurer)
shared the basic balance sheet.  It is the goal of the board to make
this more available and updated on a regular basis.

> At the same time, I really would expect a club of corporate members to work to prevent release of this kind of information about "their" Foundation to the rank and file. To be fair, they are paying. I'd be surprised they if wanted their corporate board deliberations about missions, deals and expenditure projects to be released even to the community members of the board.

The OIDF is a 501c3 and is subject to full disclosure of the
financials, mission, etc.  I'm not aware of any of the corporate board
members having plans like you mention above.

> Now, let's be ultra clear, I've seen few misgivings expressed about use made of the donated/sponsored cash - only misgivings about the lack of disclosure, and an evident continuing  reluctance to disclose before the election.
>
> Its now entirely fair for members to ask Candidates if they intend to use their limited voting power to continue this practice or would vote against it, and, how do they regard the current practice of Foundation governance?

Again, disclosure is an important part of the organization (financial,
mission, etc) to its ongoing success.  I'll leave it as an exercise to
the reader to see the financials in the mailing list archives.  I'm
for the suggestion of making this readily available on the website as
well.

- Scott