[OpenID] My answers to the nominee questions

Allen Tom atom at yahoo-inc.com
Sat Dec 13 02:47:39 UTC 2008

SitG Admin wrote:

> It would be nice if RP's had a "I'll scratch your back if you'll
> scratch mine." system by which they could send short messages to one
> another's networks - for instance, Monster.com would say "Hey Yahoo,
> please notify all the Friends of this user on your network, blah blah
> blah." and Yahoo could do so.

Yahoo has an OAuth protected API that allows a Yahoo user to authorize
an RP to write to the user's Activity Stream using the Yahoo! Updates
API. The user's connections would be able to see the message in their
Updates feed. This is very similar in concept to the News Feed on other
sites.

It would be really nice if a user could sign into an RP using OpenID,
and simultaneously authorize that site to access their data on Yahoo
using OAuth. Expect to hear more about this soon.

More info about the Yahoo! Updates API is here:
http://developer.yahoo.com/social/updates/

Allen