[OpenID] My answers to the nominee questions

SitG Admin sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com
Fri Dec 12 22:59:54 UTC 2008

>I don't think it ruins the portability. As long as there is a
>standard for requesting that the user send to their friends on the
>IDP, then it's still cross-platform.

The portability aspect of OpenID is supposed to be "If your OP goes
down or you don't like them any more, switch to another." - making
the OP responsible for all this would put too much power into the
hands of that RP, to accept or refuse arbitrary connections.

>I'm not sure I understand how it would work for Monster.com to
>contact any participating RP,

Let the OP at Monster.com (even if it exists only for this purpose!)
transfer AX to the effect of "This account is an official
representative of the RP, and should be not be treated as just
another user." (perhaps something like this could even be put into
the PAPE spec).

>but I'd love to follow up on the idea.

Here's the expanded model I wrote of before:
http://openid.net/pipermail/general/2008-July/005148.html
I'd love to see Facebook become a Relying Party, if only for that
messaging capability from users outside Facebook to users inside :)

I was reading a commentary recently on web design which said that the
more you send users away, the more they'll come back. In other words,
make your site THE place to find out about other interesting things
on the web, and they'll keep on coming back there just to find out
what else may be new. Then your Facebook users go out and evangelize
for you, on other sites, just by telling their new friends "Hey, if
you come over to Facebook, we can share *so* much more."

-Shade