[OpenID] Facebook Connect in 8 minutes, feat Luke Shephard

Eran Hammer-Lahav eran at hueniverse.com
Fri Dec 12 16:43:37 UTC 2008

The problem with this argument is your expectation that people will choose security over comfort, and that is almost never the case.

For example, when eBay and PayPal came out with support for security tokens that required you typed in a short-lived generated pin to log in, I was one of the first to try it out. VeriSign also allowed me to use the same token for my OpenID account with them. After one month I removed the feature from PayPal and eBay. I plan to remove it from my OpenID account as soon as I get around to do it. Why? Because it annoyed me more than it made me feel secure, but I have no doubt it offers better security (even with the email/text workaround, it still adds another barrier).

In addition, the Facebook Connect model is designed for the threat-level associated with the sites that use it. I don't think Facebook is trying to sell this to banks or ecommerce sites as their exclusive authentication mechanism. One of the know problems with the OpenID community is that the conflict between usability and security has never been resolved. We have multiple camps here with strong positions on both sides (and the middle) which have led to a protocol design that can accommodate both, scarifying (consistent) user experience (or at least ignoring it).

What makes Facebook Connect its potential is that it is a product designed both on security and functionality to meet the needs of a very well defined subset of sites and services. At least that is my understanding of the process Facebook followed to design it. It was not designed to be the ultimate Single-Sign-On solution platform, or to appeal to sites beyond those on the same level as Facebook itself (social, casual, and "low value" resources).

EHL