[OpenID] This is not a company election

Scott Kveton scott at kveton.com
Thu Dec 11 19:01:54 UTC 2008

Its interesting to note that the vast majority of the board members
(both community and corporate) have had experience with or have
participated in open source projects.  I would be willing to bet the
same would be true of most of the members of this mailing list.  There
are a certain set of 'rules of engagement'* that come from being a
part of those communities.  Each community may do things differently
in form, but the spirit remains the same.  Being an individual first
as a part of your project is probably the most common theme.

Now, after 2+ years of a board with that skill set, isn't it time we
mixed things up a bit?

While the open source participant in me is concerned about Brian not
having a personal blog, the current board member that has fiduciary
responsibility for the OIDF is not.  Brian may not completely
understand the 'open community' rules of engagement but *that's a good
thing for us*.  IMHO we have to get away from the whole
technology-for-the-sake-of-technology.

Brian has made it clear on many occasions that what is good for OpenID
is good for JanRain.  The same could be said for many of our
companies.  The key is making sure we strike a balance between being
good for the companies while keeping within the open rules of
engagement.

Speaking as someone that has worked for 3 companies during my time on
the board (JanRain, Strands and now Vidoop) I can say (and actually
demonstrate) that I'm looking out for the best interests of OpenID and
the open web in the decisions that I make on the board.  The same
would be true if you elected me as a board member again.

- Scott

* - these rules aren't hard and fast like if-you-do-x-you-FAIL ... its
more like a set of guidelines or commonly known practices.