[OpenID] This is not a company election

chris.messina at gmail.com chris.messina at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 15:54:59 UTC 2008

No... It's that there are two levels of board membership: community
and corporate.

I believe there are N + 1 community seats to N corporate seats.

The point is a good one: community members are advocates for the
community, individuals and non-corporate interests at large, and there
pay a nominal fee to participate. Corporate board members are
typically expected to cover a lion's share of the costs associated
with running the Foundation (or so it seems in practice).

If Brian is vying for a community seat, he would, as has been pointed
out, desire the seat regardless of his employer and would take serious
the charge to represent the interests of the community over, or in
conjunction with, his company's interests.

For my own part, I work at Vidoop part-time. I also own and run a
consulting company called Citizen Agency. Vidoop stands to benefit
from the advancement of OpenID in the marketplace, but I'm running for
the community board seat because I believe in the promise of OpenID
and demonstrated that long before I ever started working at Vidoop.

Some degree of self-interest (even commercial) is to be expected of
the candidates. However, it should not be the overriding interest in
running as there are corporate seats designed for such parties.

Chris