[OpenID] Three questions for candidates

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Thu Dec 11 05:43:27 UTC 2008

I'm less reticent on answering the question. I get asked the same business question, and _have_ to have an elevator pitch answer. My folks have no interest in grand computer science schemes, silicon valley evangelism, open source networking benefits, VC spin, .... Just tell me why I should spent my procurement dollars on this, vs something else.

I've argued that once consumers have openid capabilities (from live.com, google.com, ebay.com, yahoo.com (and verisign.com, if it would get its act in gear)) and thus have the really easy means easily signup to registration wizards on other sites (with little or no relation to google, yahoo, verisign...) the "insurance/realtor portal" lowers the barrier for a new 'client" to decide to formalize contact with the insurance/realty professional who reaches out to the currently anonymous user - using public searches sites where the leave traces indicating certain interests - that the professional might feel that can address.

In our  concept, that all enables the parties (agent and prospective "client") to establish the "agent portal" - a web2.0 conversation site (mini private blogsite) shared between that professional and their client(s). In that conversation, the professional finds the solution to the (pretty classical) insurance/realty problem using the benefits of the web dynamics, the web2.0 conversation layouts, the built in voip, the presence indicator, the IM, the video... the hyperlink... the SMS...and all the other modern groupware features that will allow the professional to "better" guide the conversation to a conclusion.

There are 1,000,000 US realtors, all mostly doing the same thing. They compete for clients - by doing "it" better than the person next desk over, which often comes down to marketing and interpersonal skills. These days, this includes the ability to leverage web-style conversation management - if you only can convert a site _browser_ into a "professional client" (under agency contract). And, openid/sreg lowers that barrier, considerably.

OpenID will be big in converting lead generation from anonymous web browsing into agency contracts, in other words.

If anyone is interested there are VC funds being spent on this area; 12 months ago folks were debating whether or not openid would be relevant, at that point. They were probably right that openid adoption evidence was too weak, 12 months ago, to do full power integrations and promotion. And.. google, live.com ... were NOT on board, then! Of course, that's all changed.