[OpenID] Three questions for candidates

Eric Sachs esachs at google.com
Thu Dec 11 04:01:35 UTC 2008

>> Responsible for a 300K user insurance portal, give me three main business
reasons to go for openid and convince my board.
I have only talked to two, but they both offered online tools for
perspective customers to get quotes, and they want to increase the % of
users who create an online account and provide an E-mail address.  So the
clear business reason for them is to increase the number of registered users
by making the login/signup process simpler.  They saw some other
opportunities with related technologies like OAuth, OpenSocial, etc. but
those were a much lower priority.

>> I see openid as a network product like gsm,water, adsl, atm or e-mail.
What is your relevant experience in these type of projects to come to a
turning point and bring openid to the mass
I started a company in 1992 that built the first corporate E-mail hosting
services for Lotus Notes & Exchange, as well as architecting many of the
apps provided by Google.  So I have 15+ years of experience turning
"products" into "services" with large adoption in both the consumer and
enterprise space.

>> What candidate would you like to have in your team and why.
My top candidate would be Brian Kissel.  Brian is critical because we have
way too much technical knowledge in the community, and not enough
Sales/BizDev expertise.  It was his work on the Customer Research Committee
that served as the catalyst to bring together the usability work from
multiple companies, and he has done a great job of continuing to push all of
us to improve our "sales pitch."