[OpenID] What election?

SitG Admin sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com
Thu Dec 11 02:45:02 UTC 2008

>>  hardly even have time to glance at subject lines of incoming mail on
>>  this list (and for a while was only downloading every few days), much
>>  less continue working on the OpenID-related posts I had going.
>
>I feel your pain - see below.

Well said - "spread too thin to be effective [on all of them]"
describes it very well. I was on the verge of (articulating) some
good ideas with OpenID, and kept losing track of even what I was
saying, much less continuing along whatever direction that was, and I
eventually realized why this was happening. One of its casualties,
sadly, was a proposal I was drafting to the community, one which
could have benefitted from volunteer work by other parties *despite*
MY lack of time - see below:

>I urge everyone in the community to join the foundation (now that it's $25
>you've no reason not to),

A monetary price is only the OIDF's most visible barrier to joining -
also, members grant the Foundation rights to publicly disclose
unenumerated information about them, which raises the natural
question of what Privacy Policy the OIDF has.

Short answer: there isn't one.

I know the OIDF was formulating one in March, because that was when
Bill Washburn asked me to take a look at what they were starting with
(not as spontaneous as it sounds - the lack of a Privacy Policy had
led me to send an inquiry about partial disclosure, such as
identifying members by URI rather than name to preserve our
anonymity), but when I asked for an update in September, his response
was that there had not been any real progress/closure. Johannes Ernst
suggested that I draft these policies to hasten things along, and I
was amenable to that but thought that a useful *first* step would be
coming up with a list of "best practice" ideas to help develop such
policies, so he recommended asking (on the list) for volunteers to
help us do that. I wrote a draft of this proposal, sent it to Bill
and Johannes, and then stopped when I couldn't figure out how to fix
one minor error Bill pointed out - if I'd had all my wits about me, I
could have posted a corrected version two months ago.

-Shade