[OpenID] Changes to the OpenID Foundation member page login

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Sun Dec 7 20:59:53 UTC 2008

I know your views on caccert.org, Eddy!  I have sympathy for the opinions of both sides of that long-running argument.

My only point was that cacert  is not a non-vendor. Let’s  remember that the non-vendor criterion seemed to be in vogue for the thread, at the time. Apparently, there is more yet more hair splitting about which  vendors can be seen to be involved in delivering an  OpenID service; the policy applies to all endorsements,  but not all types require actual disclosure.

The issue of self-signed and/or PKI is a fun deckchair, tho  – as https is highly relevant to OpenID’s viability and defines its ability to scale its discovery processes (though it’s always interesting to determine who denies that, and get to their rationale).

For now, the Foundation endorses only TTP-based PKI - as far as I can tell.

And that means, I suspect, that your own OP’s https OpenIDs will NOT be usable at the Foundation voting site, yes?

IF so, (a) there is evidently reliance policy founded on SSL, and (b) it discriminates against your firm’s OP.

Or did you capitulate,  and go buy a $50 cert for your OP/discovery responder?