[OpenID] Changes to the OpenID Foundation member page login

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Sun Dec 7 20:13:06 UTC 2008

On 12/07/2008 08:16 PM, Peter Williams:

> Why is the Foundation (or a sponsor) not running openssl, and its own
> CA, so as not to appear biased to any particular CA services vendor?

Oh no, Peter, no way. Self-signed certificates don't provide any
protection at all, period. See https://blog.startcom.org/?p=125

> Of course, we all know why. Certain CA services  vendors-only
> solutions make SSL configuration viable (whereas open
> source-principled SSL service tend to be being rejected by consumers
> (e.g. cacert.org)).

Give me a break....not going to argue here at OpenID about the use of
CAcert, but it's basically crap! Not even worth the digital paper those
certs are issued on. And their relying parties agreement is worse than
anything else I've seen in this industry so far. Even worse than
Verisign! Neither does CAcert represent Open Source (sick) nor anything
open at all. Read their subscriber agreement, my friend, educate yourself!

> If folks want an introduction to cacert.org  (a non vendor class of
> SSL/CA services), it’s easy to arrange. Its all built on openssl., and
> operates as a non-profit.

Peter, I'm surprised hearing such endorsement from you. Or an
endorsement at all.

> Understand that the enduser experience of foundation-showcase of
> openid for members will go down in quality considerably, tho – when
> you throw out whichever evil CA service vendor is being
> Foundation-endorsed, today.

You just did the same hereby!

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>