[OpenID] Contributing to the website

David Recordon drecordon at sixapart.com
Fri Dec 5 23:48:13 UTC 2008

On Dec 5, 2008, at 3:40 PM, SitG Admin wrote:

>> As one of the people who is accountable, I see the problem being
>> expressed is others not knowing how we make decisions or how they can
>> more easily contribute.  That should be fixed.  We've already shown
>> that others are able to contribute whether it be upgrading the
>> WordPress installation, writing site content, or blogging but all of
>> those currently require people seek us out if they want to
>> contribute.
>
> I would very much like to see some guidelines on desired/acceptable
> content. I have, for instance, a (very strong) *suspicion* that
> analogies for OpenID would help it become understandable to
> potential users/providers in areas not already having to do with
> identity, and I've had some ideas for such analogies (which I can
> easily write up on my own), but I've just put them on hold because I
> don't KNOW of anyone who would be interested in such things.

I'd say go for it.  I hate when I work on something and people tell me
it isn't what they want to, but if you write a first draft unless it's
way off base it should always turn into something useful.

> Also, if the rate of news increases, I would suggest putting all non-
> major news under a one-line "cut" so that the major news still
> appears on the first page (without scrolling down) and doesn't
> require following a link, but those interested in "analogy for
> OpenID using investigators and security clearances" could look at it
> (and, of course, this could optionally be integrated with OpenID
> later on, as other volunteers helped with site software, to "cut"
> the news a user found uninteresting and expand the news they usually
> found fascinating).

We've never done a good job of figuring out how long blog posts should
stay on the front page and how to handle it.

http://openid.net/feed/

> I don't think items even get cross-posted to this list, which is a
> shame since it means that anyone not regularly visiting openid.net
> could easily go for long periods of time unaware that there were any
> updates.

They also are aggregated on http://planet.oopenid.net/.  Agreed, we
should make it a policy to cross-post to this list any new blog post.