[OpenID] Changes to the OpenID Foundation member page login

David Recordon drecordon at sixapart.com
Fri Dec 5 19:31:02 UTC 2008

Agreed with Chris here.  I don't inherently have a problem with using
RPX since it does provide value, but the trust root needs to be fixed
and far more transparency added by the Foundation when choosing to use
a vendor's product.

I'm also concerned about some of the optics when it comes to JanRain.
As far as I can tell JanRain has started a consulting engagement when
one of the developers the OpenID Foundation retained to build the
membership and elections tool.  The elections tool now has JanRain's
solution in it.

Given Brian Kissel's growing involvement in the Foundation the past
few months I would have expected him to disclose this as the CEO of
JanRain especially as he's currently running for a *community* board
seat in the election.

As to the developer himself, I have no idea if he has a NDA with
JanRain that might have prevented this, if he did disclose it to the
committee of the Foundation that engaged him, or what.  I'm much less
concerned about his role in all of this as I'm sure in both
engagements he's just doing what he's being paid to do.

--David