[OpenID] Changes to the OpenID Foundation member page login

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 19:08:34 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Steven Livingstone-Perez <
weblivz at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't really have much of a say on this (other than being a new member)
> and you may 100% disagree with me, but IMHO there *is* an argument that in
> using best of breed products we can demonstrate the power of OpenID to
> users
> ... compared with the cost/effort to implement something that already does
> really good job.

No argument there. Making OpenID seem awesome (or live up to its promised
awesomeness) isn't really something that I'm questioning.

This kind of experience can be done without the use of a vendor product,
though, but requires quite a bit more work and time.

I do understand the endorsement aspect, but on the other hand the UX is the
> biggest issue OpenID seems to have at the moment and it seems to me that
> using such products (so long as they are donated as such and not specific
> long term to any one company) can only be a positive thing.

Therein lies the rub. I'm not arguing against using RPX, but for concealing
it in the trust root (since currently people end up trusting
*.rpxnow.comrather than
openid.net — thereby creating a long term situation that's hard to switch
from (without users having to *reassociate*)) and for getting some
transparency into how the decision to use RPX was made.
I agree with Eran that the experience is better -- but let's not set a poor
precedent in the interest of expediency.

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Citizen-Participant &