[OpenID] For the nominees

Snorri snorri at snorri.eu
Fri Dec 5 16:13:42 UTC 2008

Dear Eddy:

Please let me thank you for your initiative: I think it is an excellent way of discerning the quality of the vision each candidate may have (this is even truer for those whom we know a bit less), and that such Q&A sessions should be conducted between the whole Community and the nominees until December 24th.

Here are my own answers to your questions:

1.       We all know that the absolute priority today is to push for more adoptions by RPs. There is not one single answer to this, rather a series of many concrete actions we must all implement together. You will see a summary of actions I have proposed this last summer: http://wiki.openid2009.org/Main_Page

If I had to summarize them, I would say : - A New Internet site (a great deal of which would be devoted to potential RPs), - A Local presence, supported by OIDF, in each of the countries, thanks to the Local Chapters, - Organizing Events dedicated to OpenID, where potential RPs would be invited, - Meetings with these RPs, directly at their place of business or by videoconferencing, - A greater Communication directed towards the public at large, - Greater Simplicity for the process, and a Toolkit making implementation easy for developers and future RPs…

2.       My vision is that, whether you are a major operator of the Google, Microsoft, Yahoo class, or a small independent operator, the concept of interoperability must remain the same for everyone. However, we all know that in reality, things are never that simple.

I am really convinced that we have to have a large provider adopt OpenID; it must be an operator (Platform/Community/NPO) who is strongly favoring Open Source (this is a project upon which I have worked since several months).

This would in turn attract many developers (they have remained absent of the OpenID scene for a long time, and I would like to re-invite them in) to create a large community, like Facebook is about to succeed in doing with “Connect” (but this should not be limited to OP, it concerns also RPs, APIs and, more generally, Open Social or Open Web)… To summarize this project for you, please imagine an OpenID Community organized in a way comparable to WordPress. (I hope to do in ‘09 :)

3.       I believe the Foundation is there to open the market in a way as equitable to all as possible, to create an even playing field inasmuch as possible, and in so doing, it should not favor or rely too heavily, on/around the OpenID protocol, others tech tools. However, this does not exclude creating partnerships with other organizations (there are many we could approach) and to publicly demonstrate such successful scenarios (example: OpenID and SAML, for what concerns government agencies)

4.       I think that what you just wrote is essential, and for my part, I would be ready to defend such an idea. This, because it has been seven (7) months now, and the Foundation still has not found their new ED, and all seems presently blocked, in expectation of New ED, as if he were the Messiah. (May I add that I submitted my own candidature to the ED post ;-). You are correct in saying that the budget allocated to one single item is relatively important, and not devoid of risk ($300,000 for the Salaries and Benefits expenses).

I have to add to this that the Board declared that they were looking for an "Administrator" rather than a "Leader," that is, someone who will execute the work dictated by the Board rather than taking personal initiative. This is, in a sense, legitimate, but in this context, one does not understand very clearly any more what the role of the new ED will be, what new impetus he will bring, if one considers the large workload that will be placed before the Members of the Board, and/or before those who participate in the various Committees. I am convinced that with such an organization (I speak also for myself here) that the Members of the Community Board would devote more time to the Foundation than just a few hours given here and there on a volunteering basis… Just as a team would pull together.

Mind you, I have this vision because I consider myself as an "Executive" in my present day-to-day professional life, Il may be that some Members of the Board would feel less at ease in such a position and would prefer to delegate that role to another person, perhaps we can combine the two...

Best regards,

-Snorri

www.snorrigiorgetti.com