[OpenID] Using OpenID to store encrypted data

Ennts Ennts michael.ennts at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 3 18:06:56 UTC 2008

Hi,

First of all, I'm not sure if this post belongs to this list, but in lack of
a better candidate, I'm posting it here. Please let me know if it belongs
elsewhere.

I have a web application which uses OpenID to identify my users. For each
user I'd like to store some encrypted data that only the user should be able
to retrieve. For that I need a key which is _not_ stored in my application.

Is there any standard way of achieving this using OpenID?

I think that ultimately what I'd like is that the OpenID provider returns a
response consisting of the claimed_id (used as a user identifier in my
application) together with a piece of data (acting as a key) which is
persistent, unrelated to claimed_id, and unique to my realm. Is this
possible? (Apologies if this is a trivial question, but I'm completely new
to OpenID and from what I've read, it does not seem obvious to me whether
this is part of the machinery or not :-))

Best regards,
Michael