[OpenID] What election?

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Wed Dec 3 01:51:28 UTC 2008

Can we drop the bit about: noone is allowed to make money?

Certs took off when visa owned 6 percent of verisign (worth 30billion for a while) taking certs into payments. Cisco owned another tranch, putting certs into every router on the planet. Hp bullied there way into owning a share, helping validate certs as an enterprise/intranet necessary. Att did x, intel did y, nsa did z. Micosoft got shares and warrants for ssl, authenticode, smime, (even I guess ev). They all got what they wanted: partial control, and the ability to shape the public space for their missions/business interests.

This is how real boards work   (as facilitated by vc firms, often, and savvy ip development firms like rsa - sadly now a  defunct company).