[OpenID] What election?

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 01:12:36 UTC 2008

+10?
I've been wanting to write a similar email ever since I found out,
accidently, that there was an election coming up.

The OpenID.net website is an embarrassment -- the homepage has nary a single
mention of the election and the foundation page doesn't either. It only
mentions the hunt for an ED, which I don't recall when we last were given a
status report on. Wasn't someone interviewed at IIW for the position? Why
are the results of that process not on the blog? And if it is, why is there
no pagination link on the website homepage linking to prior posts?

There is no mention whatsoever of the election, or how to get involved on
the OIDF page; the last piece of official news was from February 2008,
clearly leading one to question whether this indeed has been a banner year
for OpenID or a dud.

The lack of communication from the board or from the foundation or from
anyone to an audience outside and more diverse than the usual suspects is
appalling.

Unlike Eran, I've yet to decide if I want to run for the board. I know that
there's plenty that I could bring to the table, just as I offered over two
years ago to lead a SpreadOpenID project (instead I went on to start OAuth
shortly thereafter). However, in spite of how much faith I've put into
OpenID as a technology and how much I am an advocate, among many others, for
a user-centric conception of the web, it is unclear to me in any capacity
whether the OpenID institution and foundation is the vehicle that will
actually bring about that reality.

Now that I am a dues-paying member of the foundation, I am interested in the
notion of accountability. Where are the answers to Eran's questions? Why
hasn't there been more information about the election produced? And how, if
at all, does the board intend to remedy this situation?

Chris

Chris Messina
Citizen-Participant &
 Open Technology Advocate-at-Large