[OpenID] OpenID challenges and elections

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Tue Dec 2 10:43:28 UTC 2008

Facebook model for consumers is similar to the reuters model in realtime financial systems. There is noting wrong with either, and both should be highly profitable.its just the segmentation of information products business, monetizing a ttp network (visa, reuters, facebook,...)

I had assumed tha openid was more of a web movement, than a business. More of an ssl and twitter.

It took over 15 years to get ssl/rsa/certs to the mass adoption point. In the course of that journey, the standards were written several times, before one finally hit the mark. Its quite typical for patents with real art to be 17 years ahead of the mass market. Its common to only make money from the patent investment and a decade of market development in the last 2 years of the patents life. The point is to position the inventor for the money phase, assuming he/she invested that much vision/effort in developing the technology to the point of market maturity.

Websso has a couple more rounds to go, I suspect. but its coming along nicely, and a lot more viable than client certs, say! Ill bet that risk managing adapive/expert systems will be needed to handle the user auth, and the mpls-style virtual routing (currently going on to make the voip world scale up) will address the trust fabrics - doing away with what facebook offers.

Don't worry about journalists writing about trends matching their 3month out article deadlines. Just noise.