[OpenID] 2-Headed OpenID Auth for Increased Security?

Paul Madsen paulmadsen at rogers.com
Mon Dec 1 14:20:22 UTC 2008

We toyed with this idea in Liberty for SAML but never did anything with
it - partly because it would already work out of the box with SSO
protocols as they are if the RP coordinates the multiple authentications.

We did think of optimizations whereby you could eliminate some redirects
by having  (in OpendID terminology) the first RP indicate to the first
OP the second OP in the openid.return_to -  I'm not sure this would be
legal in OpenID?

A bit weird, as from the second OP's PoV, it would be getting an
unsolicited response from the first OP and would have to interpret it as
an implicit request for authentication ....

Alternatively, the RP could indicate to the first OP that it wanted to
chain requests to the second OP.

Neither model would seem to mitigate the 'bad OP' risk.

The other issue is how to describe such distributed authn in PAPE or
equivalent.

paul