[OpenID] URL normalization issues

Johnny Bufu johnny at sxip.com
Thu Mar 22 22:25:13 UTC 2007

Hi Gabe,

I think I was saying the same thing, or at least trying to ;-),
specifically:

On 22-Mar-07, at 2:42 PM, Gabe Wachob wrote:
> I would note, however, that the equivalence rule you mention does
> have one
> exception - if the path is missing altogether, the http URL is
> considered
> equivalent to the same http URL with only '/' for the path. To wit:
>
> http://www.example.com/ == http://www.example.com

The OpenID spec gives the wrong example in regard to this, in the
'Normalization examples' section.

> http://www.example.com/foo != http://www.example.com/foo/

LiveJournal *does* perform the above transformation, which can break
things for unaware OPs.

So I was wondering what would be a good approach to deal with this at
a global level (if possible).

Johnny