[OpenID] Persistent logins

Calvin Cheng cxcheng at mac.com
Tue Mar 13 17:14:59 UTC 2007

Pardon me, I'm fairly new to the OpenID scene and here's my first post to the list :)

As far as I can tell from the OpenID specs, there's no "single sign off".
OpenID is not a distributed session management system.

In that sense, as started by Nic, the responsibility as entirely on the application. Your custom app should need to check with the IDP that the identity is still valid at regular intervals (every 10 minutes for example, but perhaps not each time the session cookie is refreshed depending on security requirements) that you determine. The end user would need to inform the IDP to allow the RP to have access forever, or be confronted with frequent authentication requests.

Do we have the recommended best practices for dealing with session management?