[OpenID] Id system requirements (was P2P and decentralization)

Terry Braun tab at talking.com
Sun Mar 4 14:51:36 UTC 2007

I think an identity system will need to provide accountability,
anonymity and selective disclosure.

If I spam a blog, there must be some way I can be held accountable and
therefore have some consequence for my action.
If I want to join a group where my membership could have an impact on my
job, then I want anonymity.
And if I want to participate in a group that has some requirement such
as age, I want to be able to disclose just that information and no more.

I'm an incrementalist, so all these things don't need to be in place at
once (openid is a big step forward as it is), but if the requirements
are agreeable, it would be good to see a way to go from where we are to
there.

The only way I can see to meet these goals is to use a token for an
identity that is separate from the identity rather than to have the
identity be the token.

Terry