[OpenID] OpenID, P2P and decentralization

Greg Hewgill greg at hewgill.com
Fri Mar 2 20:38:11 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 07:46:34AM -0800, Kaliya * wrote:
> Personally I never want my OpenID identifier in ANYONE's XFN file.

One could imagine an OP that could issue you a different, private,
identity for each RP that you wanted to log in to. This could still
maintain the benefit of single-sign-on, but your OP would automatically
select the appropriate private identity for each RP as needed.

The OP could generate a completely random identity (ie. a hash result),
or a random couple of words chosen from a dictionary, or let you choose
a new name.

If you trust an "anonymiser" OP, then you this could even be offered as
a proxy service to anybody who has an existing OpenID identity.

Greg Hewgill
http://hewgill.com