[OpenID] OpenID, P2P and decentralization

Scott Kveton scott at janrain.com
Fri Mar 2 16:51:34 UTC 2007

> The problems with OpenID occur when you try to use it in non-public
> contexts. The "global-ness" of the identifier becomes its weakness because
> it enables privacy-violating correlation across contexts.

I would agree with this completely (and the rest was very well said as
well).

OpenID by its nature is public; its a unique URL on the Internet that
defines you (even i-names have this same functionality).

The reality is that the market will bear out the "right" solution here.
Saying that we shouldn't develop it because we have some preconceptions on
how users should use this technology is not very realistic IMHO.  When the
technology is available (and I know that there are several people/companies
working on this), either users will use it, or they won't.

- Scott