[OpenID] OpenID, P2P and decentralization

Jaco Aizenman skorpio at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 16:13:23 UTC 2007

+1

"...goes against the "laws" that people should have both control and consent
for where PII goes."

BTW, this is another good example that it is not a good idea building the
tools, without taking care of people´s rights.

Since OpenID is being developed by the people for the people (at least is
not a Corporation initiative), it should consider very seriously those
issues....

OpenID, for the people by the people.     ;-)

On 3/2/07, Kaliya * <identitywoman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I get really freaked out when People start talking XFN and identities of
> any kind.
>
> Personally I never want my OpenID identifier in ANYONE's XFN file.  This
> sort of social graph portability is highly privacy invasive and goes against
> the "laws" that people should have both control and consent for where PII
> goes.
>
> I would like to see some deeper thought go into how OpenID plays well with
> emerging projects like Higgins and the Liberty People service that are
> looking hard at contextual identity management and how to port social graphs
> while respecting privacy.
>
> I get that many folks here are not concerned about where they end up in
> other peoples social graphs and how they are ported around the web without
> their knowledge.  I am.  Many people do. Many people do who will be users of
> OpenID.
>

> On 3/1/07, seb20 <seb.deuxzero at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I wonder if anyone has thought about building an OpenID solution
> > (provider/consumer) based on P2P and XFN ? I wrote a small
> > presentation you can see here, if you want to see what I mean (very
> > high level, not too technical):
> >
> > http://www.egomedium.net/fr/wp-content/p2popenid.pdf
> >
> > This would allow to decentralize the identity repository, and store
> > fragments of identities on your friends network. If people are
> > interested, maybe we could start a page on the Wiki, and if it makes
> > sense, where ?
> >
> > Sebastien

Jaco Aizenman L.
My iname is =jaco (http://xri.net/=jaco)