[OpenID] identity url suggested formats?

Jamie McClelland jm at mayfirst.org
Tue Jul 31 23:38:41 UTC 2007

Hi all -

I'm very excited about the openid stuff - great work to everyone who has
contributed to this protocol!

I've just completed a test implementation of a server for May First/People
Link members.

The URL format we are using is:

http://id.mayfirst.org/username

However, it seems like most folks are using:

http://username.domain.org

For legacy reasons, we can't use:

http://username.mayfirst.org

But we could use:

http://username.id.mayfirst.org

Hm.

I prefer

http://id.mayfirst.org/username

Because it more cleanly separates out the domain from the username. However,
it seems like most people use the http://username.domain.org format and I
don't want to adopt a format that is different from what most people are using
because it seems like it might confuse our members.

I was wondering...

Is http://id.mayfirst.org/username valid? If so, are there reasons to go with
one scheme over another scheme?

Any suggestions would be welcome (including a link to RTFM :).

thanks,
jamie

- --
Jamie McClelland
718-303-3204 ext. 101

May First/People Link
Growing networks to build a just world
http://www.mayfirst.org
Members Local 1180, Communications Workers of America, AFL-CIO

PGP Key: http://mayfirst.org/jamie-pgp