[OpenID] Trust + Security @ OpenID

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Fri Jul 20 17:01:28 UTC 2007

Yes, they are.

Its poorly implemented. Its security semantics are not the same as https
(a common misconception); it's a technology shelf item that's been
waiting for a reason to exist (beyond what https did for the last 13
years). I think it now has one.

That its poorly supported in libs is why its proxy architecture works
nicely. The TLS tunnels are setup between http proxies, not endpoints
(though obviously an endpoint can always be its own proxy). The value of
proxying is that the certs will act as the control plane for the
switching function of the network of proxy relays.