[OpenID] Trust + Security @ OpenID

Andrew Tomlinson adt at cannontomlinsonbyrne.com
Fri Jul 20 10:16:15 UTC 2007

In the end no technology is going to stop people saying things that are
untrue. Stopping this is a going to be a job for the courts. When somebody
says something untrue for personal gain it is fraud.

So for the whitelist/blacklist let people assert (non)compliance, you verify
as far as reasonable, you solicit dispute claims for untrue assertions, you
have terms and conditions which give a legal framework for
compensation/damages (or simply disclaim them).

So in the end the trusting party can only place an amount of trust in a
whitelist/blacklist equal to the level of legal protection plus any 'gut
feeling' aspects of how well they think the whitelist/blacklist is operated.

I think the situation is very similar to SMTP RBL. If you look at the amount
of legal claims MAPS have had to deal with you see the importance of a solid
legal framework!

Andrew

  _____