[OpenID] Trust + Security @ OpenID

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Sat Jul 7 04:57:59 UTC 2007

In my analysis:-

1. We are at the "shall OpenID2.0 be adopted" point. Its therefore appropriate to be scrutinizing carefully the rationales and claims associated with YADIS and non-URL naming servers and resolvers. After all, these properties and features had little or nothing to do with what made OpenID1.x successful. Dumping the URL for the theory of XRIs is a dangerous political move! Not everyone may recall one of Steve Crocker's (Mr RFC 1) punch lines, used during the early .com era: the proof that the Internet has indeed (finally) arrived is manifest by looking at even Madison Av billboard advertisements: look at those URLs, folks!

2. We should also be asking: "is OpenID - a means of proving one owns an identity URI - also technically suitable for authenticating the channels enforcing privacy and other sharing policies"? This is by no means clear to me, yet. OpenID Exchange is NOT a community "endorsed" spec, lets note (thankfully!)

3. We also have to look increasingly carefully at the exposition of the core design philosophy. If one evaluates the primary claim of the movement - as one day a Common Criteria evaluator MUST - then we see that "Opened is completely decentralized meaning that anyone can choose to be a Consumer or Identity Provider without having to register or be approved by any central authority" is a somewhat "vacuous" central claim The same is true for PKI, in practice. The same is true for SAML, in practice. The same is true for SSL, in practice. The same is true for inter-domain web cookies achieving SSO, in practice. Its even true for federation-centric schemes like Shibolleth, that also admit and greatly benefit from bilateral optouts by site from the centralized policy management regimes. So... So what! OpenID?